Washington University in St. Louis
yellow flowers

About the Tyson Research Center

Policies: Research

Those researchers initiating a project must submit a description or abstract, dates/schedule, project area, facility needs, equipment or supplies that may be available from Tyson, and number of personnel to Dr. Medley. Researchers are restricted to areas designated in the research plan and general support facilities. All field materials must be removed, all buildings cleared, and all keys must be returned at the conclusion of the study.

  1. Any publications emanating from Tyson must acknowledge the contribution of the Washington University Tyson Research Center. A PDF version of the paper should be emailed to the main office (Rabizoff[at]biology2.wustl.edu).
  2. Researchers may request the use of exclusive study areas. If granted, access will be limited to Tyson staff for routine duties or emergencies only.
  3. Investigators studying animals must obtain a Wildlife Collectors Permit from the Missouri Department of Conservation. Call (573) 751-4115, extension 156; write Wildlife Collector Permit, Missouri Department of Conservation, P. O. Box 180, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0180, or visit the MDC website. Endangered species require both state and federal permits.
  4. The Animal Studies Committee of Washington University must review all protocols involving the use of vertebrates in research, teaching or demonstration projects. Washington University personnel must contact the Washington University Animal Studies Committee, Campus Box 8025 or (314) 362-3229 for information about submitting protocols for approval. They have a website here. Non-Washington University researchers may substitute an equivalent animal care protocol document if approved from researcher's home institution. In such cases, please provide Washington University Tyson Research Center a copy of the home institution's approved animal care document.
phone: (314)-935-8430
fax: (314)-935-8433
6750 Tyson Valley Road
Eureka MO 63025